truth and soul...
Philip “Fish” Fisher was nicknamed, “Fishbone,” while attending an elementary school in Los Angeles, California. He was exposed to different styles and genres of music at an early age, including pop, punk, reggae, fusion, funk, gospel, blues and more. It was this multi-faceted musical education that provided an intense foundation for Fish’s unique skills in music, business, and philosophy,
Fish, along with his brother, was a founding member of the world renowned seminal pop/metal/funk/ska band Fishbone, hailed as the most underrated group of the 80s. From their inception in 1984, the band forged a new creative sound, which became a major influence for many of today's hottest bands and led the way for a new genre of rock music. You can hear Fish's brilliant and tasteful drumming on Fishbone's landmark "Truth and Soul" and his drumming genius behind songs like “Bonin’ in the Boneyard,” “Everyday Sunshine,” and “Freddie’s Dead,” to name a few. Fishbone was one of the featured performers on the 1993 Lollapalooza Tour.
Fish has played with the best of the best since leaving Fishbone in 1998. His list of credits reads like a biography of musical bewilderment, seemingly bringing the eclectic style of Fishbone to artists that range from country to rock and hip hop to metal. His drumming has graced the stage and recordings of artists - Hootie and the Blowfish, Macy Gray, Seal, Lionel Richie, Taylor Swift, Big Daddy Kane, Sean "Puffy" Combs, Snoop Dog, Nas, 50 Cent, Christina Aguilera, Rihanna, Everlast, Chali 2Na (of Jurassic 5), Lady Antebellum, T-Pain, Mos Def, Taleb Kwali, Adam Levine, Sharon Jones - The Dap Kings, De La Soul, Ciara, Dave Steward - Eurythmics, The Bangles, Little Richard, George Clinton, Barrington Levy, Timbaland, Red Hot Chili Peppers and Mega Pop-star Justin Timberlake, Steel Pulse and many more.
- Fish is endorsed by drum equipment titans: Zildjian Cymbals, DW drums, ProMark drumsticks, Remo drum heads, Cympads, Roland.
- Publication features: Modern Drummer Magazine, DRUM!
- TV, and film appearances: Chapelle Show - Reparations; episode pilot, Back To Beach - Frankie Avalon and Annette Funicello, TapeHeads - Tim Robins and John Cusack, Smoked - Web Series, Tommy Villafranca, I'm Gonna Get You Sucka - Keenen Ivory Wayans, Funny or Die - The Carpet Brothers. Movie songs: Fled, The Mask - Fishbone with Tower of Power Horns, I'm Gonna Get You Sucka - Fishbone with Curtis Mayfield, NBA song with Justin Timberlake, Tapeheads - film score.
- Company work: Fishbone - Drummer, Producer, Songwriter, Merchandise Creator, Co-Manager.
- Enterwerks Entertainment Group - Co-Owner and Manager.
- Cirque Du Soleil - Delirium; Drummer & Sub Musical Director.
- Salty Seed Music Unlimited Inc. - CEO, musician placement, drum rental, music production.
- Fish has also been a part of the award winning commercial jingles team, Beacon Street Studios since 2005.
- Community relations: actively involved with Beyond the Bell, an aftercare program to keep the arts as an option for inner city youth.
Fish is recognized for his creative discernment, work ethic and ability to bring together seemingly conflicting concepts and make them work together. He is an unstoppable force in drumming.